The Tivoli Park

Show on map

Location description

Tivoli, Ljubljana's largest and most beautiful park, extends into the very city centre. It was landscaped by the French engineer J. Blanchard in 1813 from the parks surrounding the Podturn and Cekin Mansions. Tivoli's 5 square kilometre area is divided by three long horse chestnut-lined walks. Its lawns are scattered with flower bed areas, interesting trees, statues and fountains. In 1880, a fish pond was built at the edge of the park, and next to the pond a small botanic garden and a greenhouse. On the opposite side of the pond, a large children's playground was built in 1942. In 1994 it was refurbished and furnished with new playground equipment.

Between 1921 and 1939, Tivoli was redesigned by the architect Jože Plečnik, who built the park's broad Jakopičevo sprehajališče walk, named after the Slovenian Impressionist painter Rihard Jakopič, which ends at the stairway in front of the Tivoli Mansion (Tivolski grad).

In 1929, the Letno Kopališče Ilirija outdoor swimming pool was built at the edge of the Tivoli park to a design by Stanko Bloudek. At the time when it was built it was the most modern swimming pool in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. In memory of Bloudek, a sports park bearing his name was later built in front of the Tivoli park's Cekin Mansion (Cekinov grad). It included tennis and basketball courts, a roller-skating rink and a children's playground designed by the architect Marjan Božič. In 1965, Božič also designed Dvorana Tivoli, a hall intended for sports events and larger concerts. Not far away, a sports and recreational centre with an indoor swimming pool, fitness facilities and a bowling alley was built to a design by Fedja Košir in 1973.


logotip turizma
 
Online booking
Ljubljana Card
Where else to go?